Saturday, December 29, 2007

My Dogs' New Year's Resolutions

I've been thinking a lot lately about my resolutions this coming new year. Typically, I don't make any because over the years I've realized that I'm not very good at keeping them. However, this year I resolve to stick to my resolutions, whatever they may be.

It also got me thinking about my dogs, Scout and Ziggy, and if they could make a list of their own resolutions, what would they be (whoknows, maybe they do make resolutions, but like me, end up breaking them come January 2nd)? Anyway, let's assume they can't, but if they could, this is what their lists would look like:

Scout: In 2008, I resolve to...
  1. Lose a few pounds as recommended by my vet, so by my next visit I'm a "5" (perfect) versus a "6 1/2" (a little chunky) on the weight chart.
  2. To do this, I resolve to exercise daily with at least a 20 to 30 minute walk.
  3. Go on more road trips (I'm dying to visit the Washington wine country; I've heard it's fabulous and totally dog friendly).

Ziggy: In 2008, I resolve to...

  1. Be nicer to Scout, not be so jealous and insecure, and not steal her toys.
  2. Chill out more. Life is too short to freak out every time I see or hear another dog, person, car, squirrel, cat, piece of paper, twig, etc.
  3. See Scout's resolutions 1, 2 and 3.

Yes, I realize that their resolutions are really my resolutions and that I need to go on more walks with them, take more roads trips, and work with Ziggy on his "issues." For the first time in years, I truly think these are resolutions I can keep!

Happy New Year!

Brandie Ahlgren, editor, CityDog Magazine

P.S. Make a comment: What are your dog's resolutions for 2008?

No comments: